How to Modify an Existing Child Custody Order

When a relationship breaks down and children are involved, custody battles often become contentious, hostile, and something that cannot be resolved without the intervention of a family court judge.

Family court judges are supposed to follow California law when it comes to determining child custody disputes. The best interests of the child are always the most important factor, and things such as a history of domestic violence, abuse and neglect, or drug/alcohol use and abuse can be considered when the judge decides with whom the child will be placed.

Although most of the time a judge will make the right decision, sometimes this does not happen. For example, in Bakersfield, a mother is currently trying to regain custody of her daughter who was placed by a judge with her father. However, the father of the child is a registered sex offender.

Applying to Change a Child Custody Order

Although it is possible to change a child custody order, to do so, the parent wanting to modify the order must show that there has been a change in circumstances that would warrant a change in custody. This is often easier said than done.

Evidence will need to be presented to the family court judge so that he or she has facts upon which he or she can re-evaluate the prior custody order.

Just because it can be an involved process, does not mean it cannot be done. Preparing an adequate case to present to a family court judge is essential to challenging a child custody order. Hiring experienced family law attorneys can make this process less daunting, easier, and more likely to be successful.

Arata, Swingle, Van Egmond & Goodwin have a top-notch legal team experienced in family law. We have been handling a variety of family law cases for many years, including those involving child custody disputes.

Our family law attorneys handle each client’s case with compassion and care. We listen to what our client needs from us, and we fight tirelessly to uphold their rights in court.

If you are involved in a child custody dispute and need the help of an attorney, we encourage you to meet with one of our experienced family law attorneys.

For an initial consultation, we welcome your call to our office at (209) 522-2211.