April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month
What Distracted Driving Traits to Look For
Driving is a risky business for sure; however, driving when distracted is not only dangerous and risky but can be deadly. With millions of people on the road today, it is important, more than ever, to drive defensively.
Types of Distracted Driving
Keep in mind; there are three types of distracted driving; visual, manual and cognitive. Examples of visual distractions are adjusting a radio or GPS, looking outside at a distraction on the road or looking at the passenger next to you and viewing a text message on their phone to see who is calling.
• Examples of manual distractions are: answering a call or sending a text message
• Eating a meal while driving or grabbing a cup of coffee.
• Cognitive distractions are distractions that keep your mind from being focused while driving.
• Cognitive distractions could come from family or money problems, emotional stress or using the phone.
How to Prevent Distracted Driving
Most importantly, there are things you and I can do that will prevent distracted driving such as turning off our cell phones while driving, eating or drinking before driving and programming our GPSs before leaving.
Ways to Prepare for Your Trip
It may sound simple but is true and effective; before leaving, eat use the bathroom, apply your makeup or shave, and make all necessary phone calls.
• Put your mobile phone away
• Take breaks or naps if your trip is long.
• If you are taking young children along, take several things along with you that will keep them occupied such a books CDs, DVDs, and video games.
• In addition, be sure to take along snacks and drinks. In addition, it is also important to have control of your emotions as you drive.
By practicing defensive driving techniques and accepting responsibility for all your driving decisions, you will not be distracted and will enjoy positive driving experiences. Driving is a risky business for sure; however, driving when distracted is not only dangerous and risky but can be deadly.